Training & Fitness Guides for the Basketball Athlete
High performance is more than just practicing our skills, we also need to stay hydrated, eat nutritious food and develop the athletes mindset! Below are a number of resources for our parents to help keep our student athletes healthy, hydrated and mentally focussed.
Developing physical skills is just the beginning. Facing adversity and having the ability to prepare mentally is key to success. Use these articles and resources to help build your Athlete Mindset.
Develop a Successful Youth Mindset
Embracing Failure to Grow in Youth Sports
How to Develop Mentally Tough Young Athletes
5 Key Mindset Qualities of Successful Athletes
Strengthen Your Athlete's Growth Mindset
How to Reach Your Athletic Potential
Easy to follow home youth basketball training exercises that can allow your child to develop strong basketball fundamentals in between sessions. These drills can be done alone or with siblings/friends. There is an emphasis on dribbling, shooting and agility.
If you want to be a superb shooter, you MUST HAVE very good basketball shooting form. Knowing how to shoot a basketball correctly is one of the most important skill to master in order to play the game.
HEALTH + FITNESS
Health & Fitness are key components for any Youth Basketball Player. Just as important of competing and performing in the gym, is being able to rest and recover in between sessions. Use these articles and resources to help maximize your athletes recovery in between sessions.
6 Nutrition Tips for Youth Athletes
Hydration in Young Athletes; by, Jennifer Van Pelt, MA
Youth Athlete Hydration Guidelines; by, Brook De Lench
The Importance Of Hydration For Youth Athletes; by, Jeanne Goodes, Coach
Simple Stretches for Kids By Catherine Holecko
Flexibility Exercises for Young Athletes
Video: 10 minute Dynamic Warm Up - Youth Athletes
Basketball is one of the fastest growing sports in the world, if you are new to the game you can brush up on the basketball rules using the references below.
Download the Latest FIBA Rules
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Jump offers a Refund minus 10% (to cover website, administration and processing fees) up until the first day of the season. After the season starts prorated credits will be issued for any cancellations for the remaining weeks of the program.
We run 4 seasons throughout the year each with 8-9 sessions per season depending on the holiday schedule and weather permitting.
- Fall: Oct - Dec
- Winter: Jan - Mar
- Spring: Apr - Jun
- Summer: Jul - Aug
Yes! Tryouts will be held in September each year and Rep teams will run from October to April with 2-3 practices each week and additional tournament play on weekends. The season will conclude in April at the OBA Year End Tournament.
- Intro to Basketball is built for kids who are playing basketball for the very first time, they will learn all of the fundamentals of basketball in a fun and engaging way including dribbling, passing, shooting, movement & introduction to the rules of the game
- Jump Grade 1,2 Leagues - Will include a review of the same concepts at the Intro program at a slightly faster pace and will include game play at each session
8-9 sessions per season.
- Our Jump HOUSE LEAGUES Program is meant for our beginner to intermediate players with a limited Game Play experience. It is best suited for players who are new to the game and still developing their fundamental skills (dribbling, passing, shooting, fitness) and confidence.
Our JUMP ADVANCED LEAGUES Program is meant for more advanced players who have strong fundamental skills and are looking for more competitive gameplay. Players should be comfortable completing the following:
- Dribbling 2 balls at the same time
- Finishing 7/10 layups with both their right and left hand
- Fitness Ability to sustain high-intensity fitness for a minimum of 4 minutes
- Game Play Experience - 2+ years of playing organized basketball
- Our Jump HOUSE LEAGUES Program is meant for our beginner to intermediate players with a limited Game Play experience. It is best suited for players who are new to the game and still developing their fundamental skills (dribbling, passing, shooting, fitness) and confidence. Our JUMP ADVANCED LEAGUES Program is meant for more advanced players who have strong fundamental skills and are looking for more competitive gameplay. Players should be comfortable completing the following:
1. Apply for jumpstart grant: https://jumpstart.canadiantire.ca/pages/individual-child-grants
2. Call us at 647-549-5867 OR email firstname.lastname@example.org to register your player and set up the invoice
3. Once your grant is approved and we receive the cheque in the mail, we will mark your fee as paid